The Summary field is hidden on the Access Request form in the Jira Service Desk portal, and is pre-populated with the name of the request. Agents want the Employee Name appended to the end of the Summary so that these requests appear like this: "Access Request - John Doe," instead of, "Access Request."
This article covers two cases that need to be handled differently from each other, but Automation for Jira makes it simple. Here's how to accomplish the task simply, with Automation for Jira:
- Case 1: When requesting access for new employees, they generally aren't yet in Jira so it is customary to use a Single Line Text field for Employee Name in this case.
- Case 2: When referring to an existing employee we typically use a User Picker field (because the employee is already in the system).
Case 1: Employee Name - Single Line Text field
This rule will check to see if "Employee Name" has a value when the ticket is created, and if it does, it will take that value and append it to the Summary field, like this: "Access Request - John Doe".
- From the Project Settings > Project Automation > click Create Rule
- Under New trigger, click "Issue created"
- Click Save
- Click Branch rule / related issues
- Under Type of related issues, leave this set to "Current issue"
- Under Rule restricted to projects, select the appropriate project(s) and click "Save".
- Click "New condition"
- Click "Issue fields condition"
- Change "Field" to "Employee Name"
- Change "Condition" to "is not empty", and click "Save".
- Next, click "New action"
- Now, here's the magic:
- Click "Choose fields to set..." and select Summary
- Then, in the Summary field, paste the following:
- Click "More Options", uncheck the box to turn off emails for this update, and click "Save".
Your Rule Details should look like this so far:
- Click "Add component" at the very bottom (main branch)
- Next, repeat the steps above to create the same rule structure as above, with two exceptions:
- On the Issue Fields Condition, select the User Picker field instead of the Single Line Text field
- On the Edit Issue action, set it like this:
- Now, click Save, name the rule: "Append Employee Name to Summary", and then publish your new rule!
- Make sure you have a request form for each Case mentioned above, then test both by creating a ticket, populating the Employee Name fields and make sure it's working for you before celebrating.